The evolution of CK Outfitters



     What started as a summer job in 1998 has   evolved into a full blown way of life for me.  I had  never planned on guiding fly fishermen for thirteen  years, it is just how it happened.  A poor economy, A low employment rate in Southwestern Montana coupled with low paying jobs and living the seasonal life are the biggest contributing factors.
     Since the beginning of this so called summer job, I have found myself guiding in Wisconsin. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park and most recently Montana.  While  each of the following states have excellent fly fishing, Montana is where I have chosen to  spend the better part of the last decade and start CK Outfitters Fly Fishing.
     Fly fishermen are a one of a kind breed.  99% are fun loving adventurous souls..  If it were not for the people that love this sport, I would not have lasted this long.  The .1% do exist.  They may  have things happening in their life which derails them from enjoying the simple mind numbing joy of fly fishing.  This is really unfortunate.
     Through all of this, I have found myself as the Guide, Instructor, Doctor, Therapist, Teacher, Preacher, Legal council, Historian, Bartender, Banker, Boss, Parent, Disciplinarian and the list goes on.  One thing is for sure, I have thoroughly enjoyed playing all these roles.
     While my time as a fishing guide winds down, I still continue to Outfit anglers and find myself with a new set of rules.  After thirteen years, I have a few stories to tell.  This book is not intended to bruise  the reputation of fly fishing, rather enlighten anglers on the client/guide dynamic.  I have clients that I have been fishing with for along time and appreciate the advice they have given me but most importantly, cherish the lifelong friendships I have developed over the years.
  This sport is largely why I am who I’ve become today and for that I am grateful.  I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing this book.  My first attempt at writing a book has been a wonderful journey.  Enjoy

Craig CK Kalpinski.

No comments:

Post a Comment